AmeriHealth Caritas Pennsylvania members with diabetes can join a special program to help them manage their condition.
Call 1-877-693-8271, option 2 (TTY 711) or visit the member portal today to join the diabetes program.
What can the diabetes program do for me?
The diabetes program can help you:
- Understand the medications you are taking.
- Know the importance of the foods you eat.
- Know why it is so important for you to test your blood sugar as often as your doctor asks you to.
- Understand why exercise and weight control are so important.
What is diabetes?1
Diabetes is a disease that affects how your body breaks down sugar. It causes your body to have too much sugar in the blood. It could also be that you do not have enough insulin. Insulin helps your body break down the sugar in the food you eat to give you energy.
If you do not have control of your diabetes, it can:
- Cause you to go blind, get kidney disease, and have foot problems.
- Make it easier to get infections and/or wounds that will not heal.
- Put you at a higher risk of getting heart disease or having a stroke.
- Cause you to have nerve damage.
- Make you feel tired, thirsty and have to go to the bathroom much more than usual.
Join the diabetes program today.
To join the diabetes program, please call 1-877-693-8271, option 2 (TTY 711).
Or, you can log in to the member portal and go to Enroll in a Special Program.
If you are a part of but no longer want to be in the diabetes program, call 1-877-693-8271, option 2 (TTY 711). Leaving the program will not change your benefits. It will also not change the way AmeriHealth Caritas Pennsylvania or the Department of Human Services (DHS) treats you.
1.“Diabetes,” familydoctor.org, September 20, 2020, https://familydoctor.org/condition/diabetes/.