Behavioral Health and Substance Abuse Resources
Behavioral health services, including all mental health, drug and alcohol services are provided by county-specific behavioral health plans.
Members may self-refer for behavioral health services. However, PCPs and other physical health care providers often need to recommend that a member access behavioral health services.
Health care providers may call AmeriHealth Caritas Pennsylvania Provider Services at 1-800-521-6007 whenever they need help referring a member for behavioral health services
Cooperation between network providers and the Behavioral Health Managed Care Organization/s (BH-MCO) is essential to assure members receive appropriate and effective care.
Network providers are required to:
- Adhere to state and federal confidentiality guidelines for member medical records, including obtaining any required written member consents to disclose confidential mental health and drug and alcohol records.
- Refer members to the appropriate BH-MCO, once a mental health or drug and alcohol problem is suspected or diagnosed.
- To the extent permitted by law, participate in the appropriate sharing of necessary clinical information with the behavioral health provider including, if requested, all prescriptions the member is taking.
- Be available to the behavioral health provider on a timely basis for consultation.
- Participate in the coordination of care when appropriate.
- Make referrals for social, vocational, educational, and human services when a need is identified through an assessment.
- Refer to the behavioral health provider when it is necessary to prescribe a behavioral health drug, so that the member may receive appropriate support and services necessary to effectively treat the problem.
The BH-MCO provides access to diagnostic, assessment, referral, and treatment services including but not limited to:
- Inpatient and outpatient psychiatric services
- Inpatient and outpatient drug and alcohol services (detoxification and rehabilitation)
- EPSDT behavioral health rehabilitation services for members up to age 21
Provider training and education
- Anxiety disorders: Behavioral health training
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: Behavioral health training
- Depression: Behavioral health training
- Depression training attestation
- Opioid Use Disorder training module
Behavioral health and substance abuse – by county
Behavioral health resources
- Pennsylvania Department of Human Services — suicide prevention
- Resources and support (PDF)
- Telephonic Psychiatric Consultation Service Program (TiPS)
- TiPS program brochure (PDF)
- TiPS provider education flyer (PDF)
- Trauma-informed care
Substance abuse resources
- Access to Drug & Alcohol Treatment Services in HealthChoices: Know Your Rights! (PDF)
- AMA Opioid Task Force (PDF)
- MATx Mobile App (PDF)
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- OB Provider Screening Guide: Identifying Opioid Use and Dependence in Pregnant Women and Adolescents (PDF)
- Pennsylvania Prescription Drug Monitoring Program
- Prescription medicine abuse: Starting the conversation (PDF)
- The Opioid Epidemic: Dentistry’s Response